Thursday, May 17, 2012

Easy No-Sew Dollhouse Couch

Here's the latest addition to the birthday dollhouse -- a lovely new couch for the living room. It was very easy to make. I don't think it took much more than half an hour to put it all together and was a nice cheap addition to our little house. (Free since I used things I already had!)


Want to make one? Here's what you'll need:
Small box
X-acto Knife
Fabric
Batting or Polyfil
Hot Glue
Beads or Buttons (optional)

 First, find a smallish box that works well with the scale of your room.















 Mark how high you want the back of your couch to come to and draw a line all the way around the box.
 Cut it out with an X-Acto knife.
 Cut out a rectangular piece of fabric to cover the cardboard. Make sure to cut a generous amount of fabric so you have plenty to wrap around. I had this pretty green fabric from another project and it worked perfectly for my little house!
Now, simply wrap the fabric around the box and hot glue it on!

 Notice those little curved arms on the couch in the last picture? When I started covering it, I quickly found that it was not going to work well. I ended up just cutting a slanted arm for the couch instead. The fabric laid much nicer on a straight line.
 Pull the fabric nice and tight and it will look something like this!
Next - cushions! Start with the bottom cushion first.
Cut out a rectangle large enough to wrap around a small bit of polyfil and with enough at each end to fold over like an envelope. Hot glue it together. Super quick and easy!

Tip - before glueing, test the cushion in the couch to make sure it's a good fit.

Now, make your back cushion using the same method.

Did I say this was a no-sew project? Well . . . I lied (sort of). :) I decided to add two small pearl beads to my bottom cushion to help it keep it's shape. And to make it look a bit more couchy! If you want to add some too (or small buttons could be cute!), just make one stitch through the cushion, pull it down tight, and tie it on the back side.

I decided to glue my cushions into the frame so that things would stay together nicely, so that is the last step!

All done and looking good in the living room. Cute! :)

Ava got her early birthday present from Nana and Papa yesterday! The Cottontail Rabbit family will be ready to move into the dollhouse soon. They also gave her a new bike! Can you tell? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment