Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dollhouse

Our Ava is turning THREE on Sunday! My life is currently consumed with working on her present -- a dollhouse. :)  Last fall sometime, we were at the toy store and Ava discovered Calico Critters. Have you seen them? They're these cute little animal families with all sorts of little sets to go with them. Ava doesn't actually own any yet, but she's getting some for her birthday!

They do sell houses for them, but they are rather ridiculously expensive. I decided to start looking on Craigslist and found this house for $20 -- not too terrible, but it did need a lot of work. We bought it from a slightly eccentric lady who lived at the tip-top of a mountain. I probably should have at least tried to offer less . . . but I think I'm sorely lacking in bargaining skills. :) Oh, well!


 Lots of missing shingles, missing trim here and there, broken windows, and, in general, just dusty and in need of a lot of freshening up!

We replaced some of the trim -- all of the old trim on the gables was pretty crooked & poorly cut, so it was easier to just start over. We found this trim at Home Depot for about 2 or 3 dollars. It was a quick fix!

I painted the inside all white to brighten things up a bit. I've started wallpapering some of the rooms, but haven't taken pics of that yet. It's looking cute, though!

Here's where I could use some input -- I decided I didn't like the yellow pictured above (it was looking a bit garish), so I mixed up a pale blue which I like much better. But . . . what color should I paint the gables and shutters? As you can see below, I've tried out quite a few, but I'm not really set on anything yet. Any opinions? Let me know!

I really like this palette, so I may try to go with the pink . . . we'll see! 

Also, any roofing ideas? Right now it is just painted white, but definitely needs to be covered somehow. I can't seem to find the perfect solution . . . share some brilliant ideas with me! :)

3 comments:

  1. Don't shoot me, but I really like ALL The colors together...or maybe just the blue and orange....I don't know, it looks quirky cute to me! I love this present. What work you've put into it. She is going to flip! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that palette - the greys and pinks. What a cool idea! I think there needs to be something like the brownish grey for the shutters - to keep it from being all pastels and uber girly... But she's going to be thrilled! What girl wouldn't love a doll house?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the blue or the orange it is a nice contrast to the light house.

    ReplyDelete